Studio Dubbeld is a woodworker's making space situated on 2400m² of land, 5 minutes from Townsville city. With a large range of tooling and experience, we can either make for you, or help you create any woodworking project. There are four main areas.
- The old corrugated iron WW2 hangar (360m²), contains the larger equipment:
- Panel saws
- Wide belt Sander
- Chisel mortiser
- Spindle moulder
- Router tables
- The concrete building behind the hangar that houses our woodworking and guitar making Studio (around 85m²) is air conditioned and includes;
- 7 large work benches
- Hand tools
- humidity controlled storage for guitar builds in progress
- A work area between the 2x sheds (around 30m²) which includes:
- Drop Saw
- Wood Lathes
- Drill Presses
- Edge belt sander
- Disc sander
- Hand power tools including;
- Domino machines
- Our Tool store, Dubbeld Wood Tools, and Reception occupies the front 80m2 of the ground level of the hanger. Within this space you will find:
- Woodworking Tools
- Woodworking Consumables
- Walk up the ramp from Dubbeld Wood Tools and you'll find our wood store Dubbeld Woods Here we stock a good range of local timbers for varoius tasks.
- Craft timber. Dressed stock for Box making, knife handles and woodturning.
- Tonewoods. Stored in the old decommissioned spray booth which is air conditioned and humidity controlled.
- Timber slabs
- Dimensional sawn furniture making timber
It's really nice to operate from a building of such historical significance in Townsville. The igloo shaped building (or hanger) is actually a Quonset hut built by the Americans in World War 2 and, according to local knowledge it was used as a shed to service amphibious vehicles and marine craft. The studio that we use to make guitars is an old grain storage shed and apparently the first cast concrete building built in Townsville.
About Joel Dubbeld
It has been really refreshing over the last years to steer the business from manufacturing into more of a studio space for makers.
Now alongside our resident makers we have two schools: The Australian Guitar Making School Townsville and the Dubbeld Wood School. I teach here at both.
Ultimately students can learn as little or as much as they like and we'll do our best to guide them through their own builds and show them the techniques we believe are best practice.
When I get the chance to build, my preferred style is exposed joinery with little reliance on glue - there's nowhere to hide here but if the construction is sound, the piece will stand the test of time. The same goes for finishing - natural finishes that, with little maintenance, only get better with age.
About Aden Tranter ( The apprentice )
After building a desk, he had alot of other projects he wanted to do and progressively spent more and more time here helping out when he could.
Mid 2018 we made the choice to take Aden on as an apprentice after he made himself indispensable and felt this is what he really wanted to do as a career.
His background in IT/Software has been a real boost for our business in the time he's been here. Aden designed and wrote our websites and our booking system and continues to improve our on-line presence .
Aden is now a fully qualified Cabinetmaker and teaches in our wood School.